Saturday 20 September 2014

Percy Jackson and the Lightning Thief

I absolutely adore this book, I never would have read it however had I not seen the movie adaptation and can I say while the movie was fantastic, the book was absolutely brilliant! I love the whole camp Halfblood and the awesomely dangerous quests they undertake. This book has made Greek Mythology much more simpler to understand too. I never realized how much the Gods got their groove on, I mean seriously how many children do they need? Jeez!

Plus I think the Gods can be so self centered, I don't particularly like Hermes for instance. He obviously doesn't care one bit about any of his children. I love Percy. I guess some people can relate to him. Got a crap step dad, a dad that's never there, getting bullied, not fitting in, different. Obviously there's a big difference between him and us since he is a Demi-God and his dad is none other than Poseidon himself.

This book gives out good vibes too. It teaches us that good can overcome evil and that no matter how we're different we always belong somewhere and whatever makes us different can be our strength. I enjoyed how fast paced this book is, usually books take forever getting to the point and before I know it my interest has disappeared and I the book finds itself discarded. This book is nothing like that, it gets straight to the point, something exciting happens in every chapter and has me gasping. I highly anticipated every page and hated the fact that with every page I read the closer I came to the end. I didn't want it to end.

So the book...

Percy Jackson lives with his mom and his step father. Percy hasn't had the best childhood, he's been kicked out of countless schools due to ADHD and he's got Dyslexia plus his dad left him and his mom when he was a baby. Right now he goes to Yancy Academy which is supposed to be for people with his 'needs' if you will. He has his first real best friend Grover who seems to have a disability with his legs which make him dependent on crutches.

One day Percy goes on a school trip to a Greek museum and is completely scared out of his wits when a teacher transforms into a Fury and accuses him of stealing 'The Lightning Bolt' before he is saved by Mr Brunner who threatens the monster with bodily harm even though he's in a wheelchair.

Little does Percy know he's about to be thrown into a strange chaotic life where he finds out nothing is as he thought. He's a Demi-God, half-human half-God and he's also the son of one of the 'Big Three' which are Hades, Zeus and Poseidon.

Percy gets sent to camp Halfblood where there are other Demi-Gods where he meets Luke the son of Hermes and Annabeth daughter of Athena. Turns out Mr Brunner isn't a teacher but he's Chiron the famous Centaur of myth and Grover is a Satyr and his protector.

At an event Percy's father claims him and lets everyone know exactly whose son he is and 'The Lightning Bolt' he's been accused of stealing is none other than Zeus'. Percy must embark on a quest to find the Lightning Bolt and prove his innocence or a war shall break free like none other ever witnessed before.

As he, Annabeth and Grover embark on this quest they are challenged with great dangers involving intoxicating flowers and a scary woman with a fetish of turning people into stone.

Percy will find out just how far betrayal can go and how deceitful the Gods can be in this thrilling story as a powerful Demi-God finding out exactly who he is.

I would recommend this book to anyone with even a slight interest in Greek Mythology and if you love a fun book then I would guarantee you'll love this one. I rate this book 5 stars!


No comments:

Post a Comment